Apprenticeships are an excellent way to support your organisation by harnessing new talent or helping to upskill your existing workforce. We offer apprenticeships in a number of different subjects allowing you to select the relevant training to meet your business needs. Your apprentice may be required to visit our Colchester, Braintree or Clacton campus or in some cases training and assessments can be carried out in the workplace. The information provided below is designed to help you to kick start the process of employing an apprentice, although our Apprenticeship Advisers are always on hand to answer any further questions you may have.
Apprenticeships – What we can offer
Colchester Institute is the largest college provider of apprenticeships in Greater Essex. We are expert at connecting the right people, to the right training, to the right business and when it comes to Apprenticeships, our Apprenticeship Advisors can support your business every step of the way.
As part of our service we can support your business with:
- Advertising the Apprenticeship vacancy
- Manage the applications received in line with your individual requirements
- Match prospective candidates already known to us
- Conduct initial pre-screening for candidates
- Carry out visits to your premises alongside regular reviews to support you, your staff and your apprentice
- Advice on any grants or funding where available
Our team will provide:
- A fee free recruitment service.
- Personal 1:1 Apprenticeship Levy advice and guidance.
- A dedicated Account Manager.
- Industry experienced, professional, technical tutors.
- Bespoke programmes available upon request.
- An Essex priority skills focus.
- Free employer events.
- By 2020 all apprenticeship frameworks will be replaced by standards
- National funding rates are being replaced by ‘negotiated’ rates, with maximum rates set by the government for their contribution
What does this mean for employers?
The changes are intended to meet employer skills needs and increase employer demand. Employers will have far more control over the content and assessment (standards) of apprenticeships and the ability to negotiate fees for delivery and assessment. The Institute for Apprenticeships, a new independent body led by employers, will lie at the heart of ensuring the quality of apprenticeships in England.
New Apprenticeship Standards
Designed by employers for employers, the new standards are improving the quality of apprenticeships and providing the skills that employers need to ensure that apprenticeships support businesses to grow and prosper.
What is different about apprenticeship standards?
The employer-designed apprenticeship standards set out what an apprentice will be able to do on completion of their apprenticeship. All standards will include maths and English, where a current A-C grade has not yet been achieved. The new apprenticeships assess an apprentice through a rigorous end point assessment, designed by employers, which will ensure the apprentice really can do the job they’ve trained for before completing the training.
A government financial enhancement is available to employers who recruit a 16-18 year old apprentice. Our dedicated CI Business Solutions team will be able to help with further guidance.
How do I hire an apprentice?
We suggest that you consider the following points when deciding whether an apprenticeship is best for your organisation:
• Where is there a need for additional resource in your organisation?
• Who will be the mentor for your apprentice?
• Will you need to invest in any extra facilities to accommodate your apprentice?
1. Choose an apprenticeship
In order to help you identify which areas of your business would benefit most from hiring an Apprentice, a full list of the Apprenticeship frameworks offered by CI Business Solutions for each industry sector can be found here.
2. Contact us
Contact our Business Solutions Team on 01206 712128 or email business.solutions:@colchester.ac.uk to talk through your requirements. Through our free recruitment service, our team of experienced Apprenticeship Advisors will then assess your individual requirements and advise you of the best way to progress with hiring an apprentice.
Our Business Solutions team will work with you to recruit an Apprentice to your business, advertising the vacancy and managing applications, as well as providing a dedicated account manager and personal 1:1 advice and guidance on apprenticeships.
The apprenticeship levy
The introduction of the Apprenticeship Levy in April 2017 has changed the way that government funds apprenticeships in England. All businesses operating within the UK with a wage bill of over £3million are required to contribute to the apprenticeship levy.
- If the levy applies to your business you will be required to pay 0.5% of your entire wage bill into the levy. This will be offset against a levy allowance worth £15,000 for each tax year.
- You will only be able to use your levy payment for government backed apprenticeships.
- Levy payments will expire after 18 months.
Speak to an advisor at CI Business Solutions on 01206 712727 to make your levy payments work for you.
As the largest college provider of apprenticeships in Essex, we can provide expert advice and guidance on all areas of apprenticeship provision, including helping you find the right apprenticeship for your business, recruiting apprentices, quality delivery and assessment with on-going support and advice.
The online system that employers will use to manage apprenticeship funds is now open for registration to all levy-paying companies. Click here for more information.
Since April 2017 the way that government funds apprenticeships in England has changed. All businesses operating within the UK with a wage bill of over £3 million are required to contribute to the apprenticeship levy monthly via HMRC.
- If the levy applies to your business you will be required to pay 0.5% of your entire wage bill into the levy. This will be offset against a levy allowance worth £15,000 for each tax year
- You will only be able to use your levy payment for government backed apprenticeships through providers who are registered on the Register of Apprenticeship Training Providers
- Levy payments will expire after 18 months.
From April 2017 all existing apprenticeship frameworks and new apprenticeship standards (often referred to as trailblazer standards) will be allocated to Government funding bands.
Funding bands determine the maximum amount of money that Government will contribute for the training delivery and end-point assessment of each apprenticeship. All approved apprenticeship standards have already been allocated to funding bandings with maximum funding caps.
If you take on an apprentice who is between 16 and 18 years old at the start of their apprenticeship, you will receive a payment to help meet the extra costs of employing them. This will be paid to you through the training provider in two £500 instalments at 3 months and 12 months if the apprentice continues in learning beyond this point.
Non-levy paying employers will need to contribute 10% of the maximum funding band as published by the Skills Funding Agency for the delivery of training and assessment for their apprenticeship. Levy paying employers will pay the full cost of the agreed funding band using their Digital Apprenticeship account. Where there are no longer funds in this digital account the Government will co-invest 90% of the funding with the levy paying employer being the asked to contribute the remaining 10% on a monthly basis.
Levy paying employers can estimate their funding contributions through the use of the free Funding Apprenticeship Systems calculating tool.
The agreed funds will be taken from the employer’s digital account to pay the training provider, up to a maximum amount of funding allocated by Government to that particular apprenticeship.
For non-levy paying employers the Digital Apprenticeship Service will not be available until at least 2018. They will need to discuss and agree a price with their training provider.
The apprenticeship levy – your questions answered
CI Business Solutions,
|Monday -Thursday||08.15 – 17.00|
|Friday||08.15 – 16.30|