Your Next Steps
We are pleased that you have chosen to come to Colchester Institute, and we are busy planning for the weeks and months ahead so that you have a smooth transition to your new programme of study. When you are planning your summer you will need to know about the following stages and key dates happening between now and you starting your new course
- Welcome and Induction Days, you will need to come to College for one day either Monday 2nd or Tuesday 3rd July 2018 to attend a welcome and Induction Day. These are important for you to attend to start your induction and find out more about your programme of study. Watch out for a letter coming to you at the end of May with more details and your exact date and time.
- GCSE results day, if you have been made a conditional offer based on your GCSE grades then your results on Thursday 23rd August 2018 are all important, and fingers crossed that you get what you need! If you don’t, then don’t panic – we hold GCSE advice days around this time so you can come in and talk to us about your options, more information will be available nearer the time.
- Enrolment day, enrolment will take place between 23rd August and 4th September 2018. There will be a set date and time for your programme which can’t be changed and this will be confirmed during your Welcome and Induction Day. It is important that you avoid taking any holiday during this time as your place on your programme cannot be guaranteed if you don’t make your enrolment day.
- Start of term 2018, term starts on Wednesday 5th September 2018, but start dates are staggered across the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of that week. You will receive your actual start date and first day information at the same time as your enrolment information – so look out for the information when it comes.
Now that the exam period is over, you can start thinking about what happens next.
Welcome and Induction Days
In early July we are pleased to invite everyone who has been made an offer on a full time study programme, to come in and take part in a Welcome and Induction Day.
Welcome and Induction Days are a very important part of the application and enrolment process, they provide incoming students with a range of experiences that will help you confirm your choice to come and study at Colchester Institute. The days, which can last between 3 – 6 hours depending on the programme area, give you the opportunity to try out the subject you have chosen and get a feel for what is expected of you. During the day you will meet the teaching staff, start to make new friends and get used to the College surroundings.
You will come away from the day with information about your next steps and with your enrolment form ready to be completed and brought in after GCSE results.
It is really important that you come, and the dates for different areas and campuses are published below. You will receive a letter to confirm your exact time, but save the date in your diary now.
If you have any questions or would prefer to speak to one of our Customer Services Team please telephone: (01206) 712000.
Information for Parents / Carers
The other important aspect of the welcome and induction activities is that parent(s) and carers are invited in to a parent information session. There will be a presentation on the college expectations and frequently asked questions given by members of the Senior Team, and other managers will be around to talk to you to answer any questions that you might have, including those that your sons or daughters forgot to ask themselves during the day!
At these events you will be able to get information on financial support, transport options and additional learning support and to understand the next steps through GCSE results to enrolment to help you support your son or daughter’s transition to College.
Confirmed Dates: July – September 2018
- Art, Design, Fashion and Photography
- Business and Accounting (AAT)
- Catering and Hospitality
- Childcare and Early Years Education
- Computing, IT and Web Design
- Engineering and Manufacturing (Mechanical, Electronics, Fabrication and Welding)
- Film, Interactive and Digital Media
- Hair and Beauty
- Health and Social Care
- Motor Vehicle Services
- Music and Music Technology
- Performing Arts, Acting, Dance, Musical and Technical Theatre
- Public Services
Please have your letter available for reference and complete the form below if you are unable to attend your welcome day.
Exam results and Advice Days
One of the most exciting – and scary – days of all is when you will open the envelope containing your exam results! For GCSEs this will be on Thursday 23rd August 2018, and for AS and A2 exams it is a week earlier on Thursday 16th August.
Fingers crossed that all your hard work will have resulted in great results, but if you are disappointed then don’t forget that we have GCSE advice and enrolment events at all of our main campuses in Colchester, Braintree and Clacton where staff are on hand to talk to you about your options.
If your GCSE results do not meet the entry requirements or you are still unsure please don’t panic! Come along to one of our August Advice Days and talk to our course tutors and careers staff about your options.
As soon as those exam results are in we start the enrolment process. You will be given information about your enrolment at your Welcome and Induction Day, but you can confirm the exact date now by looking at the dates below.
Enrolment will take place on a specified day between the 21st August and 1st September– This is the point that the student confirms and reserves their place on their course and these dates are not negotiable. please avoid taking your summer holiday between these dates as we cannot guarantee your place on your course if you do not attend your enrolment day!
Wherever possible, details of their individual enrolment date will be provided at your son or daughter’s Welcome and Induction Day. If this isn’t possible these will be confirmed by letter soon after.
What if my son or daughter cannot make their enrolment date?
Enrolment dates are not negotiable but in exceptional cases you must let us know in advance if they cannot attend by phoning 01206 712777 or completing the form below.
Enrolment Day Nonattendance Form
Please use the form below if you are unable to attend the enrolment day.
We cannot guarantee that your son or daughter’s place on their course will be held if they do not attend on their original enrolment date, without letting us know and agreeing alternative arrangements.
First Day of your new Programme
Our term starts on Wednesday 5th September 2018. Not all programmes will start on the Monday and you will be given details of your first day at enrolment.
*Please note that the College is closed on Bank Holidays and for Learning and Teaching Development Days on
Friday 19th October 2018 and Friday 15th February 2019
For more detailed term dates and our academic calendar please click here
Unfortunately we cannot confirm your timetable and / or days of attendance until you start on your programme in September.
So, there is a lot to do between now and September, don’t worry we will keep you informed about the stages as they come and go, but in the meantime of you need to check any dates or key facts keep an eye on our website. If you have any specific questions you can call our enquiry line on 01206 712777 and we will do our best to help you.