Students Zone – WelcomeStudent LinksGetting Here – Travel | Bus Passes and Parking InformationCollege ExpectationsStudent ActivitiesStudents’ Union
Colchester Institute has a relaxed, informal atmosphere. The student population is diverse and increasingly popular with international and mature students. Our Sheepen Road campus is set in the heart of the historic Colchester town. We have further campuses around the area, including Braintree and Clacton-on-Sea.
While studying at Colchester Institute you can access a wide range of resources and support such as accomodation advice, learning support, financial assistance or visit our Student Union.
Colchester Institute students are automatically members of Colchester Institute Students’ Union and are entitled to use Union facilities, create their own clubs and societies, and vote and stand in Union elections.
Colchester Institute’s degree programmes are validated by the University of Essex and all Colchester Institute Higher Education students are welcome to attend and join Essex University events and activities.
Students Info & Logins – Email | Desktop | Moodle | Portal | Pro Portal (Promonitor)
If you would like to use the secure cycle parking in front of the main reception at the Colchester Campus, contact the facilities Help Desk on 01206 712111 for further details.
Local organisations supporting cyclists include:
- Refurbished second hand bikes: www.re-cycle.org
- Help to repair your bike: www.colchesterbikekitchen.org.uk
- Cycle confidence sessions: https://saferessexroads.org/
- Cycle maps, info and support: www.cyclecolchester.org.uk
If you are under 19 years old at the start of your course, you may be eligible for help with travel costs through Essex County Council’s Post-16 Transport Assistance Scheme. Full details are available from Essex County Council
If you or your family are claiming benefits and you are on a Further Education course we may be able to support your travel costs through our discretionary support funds. Please contact Student Services for further information.
All students can benefit from discounts on First and Arriva bus services
Bus Pass Tickets – Information and Prices
Please note that First Bus will be increasing the cost of their weekly and monthly tickets with effect from 20th January 2019 ( Termly and Annual fares will remain unchanged)– please see following table for the new price structure:
|Colchester Zone 1||Weekly old price £11.70||Weekly new price £12.20|
|Monthly old price £44||Monthly new price £46.00|
|Colchester Zone 2||Weekly old price £23.50||Weekly new price £24.50|
|Monthly old price £86.00||Monthly new price £89.50|
|All Essex||Weekly old price £26.50||Weekly new price £27.50|
|Monthly old price £95.00||Monthly new price £98.50|
- First Bus zones and season ticket prices
- First bus Colchester inner zone carnet ticket 12 single journeys to be used over 1 month – £11.50
- Arriva – 4 weekly Colchester ticket £33.70
- Arriva Colchester carnet – 10 single journeys to be used over 2 months £12.50
- Hedingham – Students 19 and under can receive a Young Person deal directly through Hedingham www.hedingham.co.uk/savebig/
Discounted First and Arriva Bus passes can be purchased from:
Discounted First Bus passes can be purchased from:
- First Bus website – tickets are available via the First m-ticketing app https://www.firstgroup.com/buy-ticket
- College Shop – (Colchester campus) Term time only
Monday – Thursday 8.45am – 3.00pm. Shop CLOSED on Friday.
- Student Services – (Braintree campus) Term time only
Monday – Thursday 8.30am – 4.00pm / Friday 8.30am – 4.00pm.
- Information Centre (Clacton Campus)
Monday – Thursday 8.30am – 5pm / Friday 8.30am – 1.30pm.
- Colchester Institute on-line store http://onlinestore.colchester.ac.uk/
Why should I switch to mTickets?
Mobile ticketing is the easiest and most convenient way to buy your ticket 24/7. Purchase your mTicket wherever and whenever you like, and activate just before boarding.
- First m-ticketing app – pay by credit card or debit card
- College Shop / Student Services / Information Centre – pay by cash, cheque, credit card or debit card
- Colchester Institute on-line store – pay by credit card or debit card
For more information on fare changes, please contact First Bus Customer Services:
0345 646 0707
0700 – 1900 Monday – Friday
0900 – 1700 Weekends & Bank Holidays
Colchester Travel Centre
26 St Botolphs Street
Tel: 07816 595921
Trains – Greater Anglia passes
Scholars’ passes can be purchased directly from Greater Anglia at the following website: http://public.greenrailtravel.co.uk/.
Please also read the General Transport Policy
Giving friends and classmates a lift to campus is a great way to reduce the costs of travelling as you can share petrol and parking costs.
There are specific parking spaces for car sharers at Colchester campus and you can apply for a car share permit at the Facilities Help Desk in Q House. If you can’t find someone to car share with you can use Essex Car Share to find or offer a lift.
Can I park on site?
There is student parking at both the Colchester and Braintree campuses, however this is limited and there is no guarantee of a space.
Students need to apply for a parking permit to allow them to park on campus. The permit is free and can be obtained from our facilities department at Colchester or the Information Centre at Braintree. All students enrolled on a full-time course, part-time course or apprenticeship that requires parking from 8am and up to and including 5pm on a week day will require a parking permit.
If parking a car at Colchester, there is a daily pay and display parking charge of £2.30 and a ticket must be displayed alongside a valid parking permit. There is no charge for cars arriving on site after 5.15pm for evening classes. There are ticket machines on site but they take CASH ONLY and do not provide change. In addition there is moped and motorcycle parking at Colchester which is free on production of a valid student ID card.
There is no charge for any student parking at our Braintree Campus on production of a valid student ID.
Please note: all vehicles are left at the owner’s own risk. The College accepts no liability for loss or damage to vehicles or belongings left on premises.
Colchester Institute College Expectations set out what we expect of our students from the outset, and these feed into the learning agreement that all new students sign up to:
As a Colchester Institute student it is expected that, at all times, you will
- Set yourself challenging targets, and push yourself to do your best work
- Take responsibility for your own behaviour, showing consideration and respect to others
- Take pride in your College environment and follow all Colchester Institute policies and procedures
- Attend all sessions on time with the correct equipment to learn, and report all absences to the College in a timely manner
- Participate fully in all aspects of your programme, including tutorials and progress reviews, and submit coursework by the set deadline
- Contact your tutor to discuss any concerns or issues which affect your programme of study
In return, Colchester Institute will provide
- An appropriate induction to the College and your course, with the opportunity to read and understand your learning agreement
- A programme of study designed to meet your learning needs, delivered by suitably qualified and experienced staff
- An Individual Learning Plan, and regular tutorial reviews, to help you monitor your progress and maximise your achievement
- Timely and appropriate feedback on all assignments and assessed work
- Opportunities to access materials and additional information through the Virtual Learning Environment
- A named member of staﬀ who will be your main point of contact during your studies to raise concerns and complaints
- Access to impartial information, advice and guidance on educational, career and personal matters, including discussing your options after your course.
At Colchester Institute there is a wide variety of activities for students to join in. This varies throughout the year and from campus to campus. Based at the Colchester campus, The Sports Federation deals with all competitive sports teams at the college.
In addition to our sports team there are fitness classes such as Street Dance, Self Defence, Volleyball, Cheerleading and Boxing, as well as team sports including Dodgeball, Basketball and Football.
As well as sports activities students are able to attend a range of events, starting with Fresher’s Fair which is an event focused on introducing students to both the college and our surrounding area as well as a range of student trips and enrichment activities such as first aid classes.
Higher Education students are also able to join University of Essex’s sport teams.
For more information on any of our activities please contact the Students’ Union
Colchester Institute Students’ Union is an autonomous organisation run for students, by students. Their main priority is to represent all students in all matters. Colchester Institute students are automatically members of Colchester Institute Students’ Union and are entitled to use Union facilities, create their own clubs and societies, and vote and stand in Union elections. The students union actively works within the college to improve the student experience as well as organising trips and events.
Anyone can get involved with any aspect of Colchester Institute Students’ Union. Members of the Executive Committee include the President, Vice-President of Communications, Vice-President of Events and Activities, and Vice-President of Learner Voice.