Colchester Institute has a relaxed, informal atmosphere. The student population is diverse and increasingly popular with international and mature students. Our Sheepen Road campus is set in the heart of the historic Colchester town. We have further campuses around the area, including Braintree and Clacton-on-Sea.
While studying at Colchester Institute you can access a wide range of resources and support such as accomodation advice, learning support, financial assistance or visit our Student Union.
Colchester Institute students are automatically members of Colchester Institute Students’ Union and are entitled to use Union facilities, create their own clubs and societies, and vote and stand in Union elections.
Colchester Institute’s degree programmes are validated by the University of Essex and all Colchester Institute Higher Education students are welcome to attend and join Essex University events and activities.
Students Info & Logins – Email | Desktop | Moodle | Portal | Pro Portal (Promonitor)
First Bus passes
Discounted First Bus passes can be purchased from:
- First Bus website – tickets are available via the First m-ticketing app https://www.firstgroup.com/buy-ticket
- College Shop – (Colchester campus) Term time only
Monday – Thursday 8.45am – 3.00pm. Shop CLOSED on Friday.
- Student Services – (Braintree campus) Term time only
Monday – Thursday 8.30am – 4.00pm / Friday 8.30am – 4.00pm.
- Information Centre (Clacton Campus)
Monday – Thursday 8.30am – 5pm / Friday 8.30am – 1.30pm.
- Colchester Institute on-line store http://onlinestore.colchester.ac.uk/
- First m-ticketing app – pay by credit card or debit card
- College Shop / Student Services / Information Centre – pay by cash, cheque, credit card or debit card
- Colchester Institute on-line store – pay by credit card or debit card
Greater Anglia passes
Scholars’ passes can be purchased directly from Greater Anglia at the following website: http://public.greenrailtravel.co.uk/.
Please also read the General Transport Policy.
Colchester Institute College Expectations set out what we expect of our students from the outset, and these feed into the learning agreement that all new students sign up to:
As a Colchester Institute student it is expected that, at all times, you will
- Set yourself challenging targets, and push yourself to do your best work
- Take responsibility for your own behaviour, showing consideration and respect to others
- Take pride in your College environment and follow all Colchester Institute policies and procedures
- Attend all sessions on time with the correct equipment to learn, and report all absences to the College in a timely manner
- Participate fully in all aspects of your programme, including tutorials and progress reviews, and submit coursework by the set deadline
- Contact your tutor to discuss any concerns or issues which affect your programme of study
In return, Colchester Institute will provide
- An appropriate induction to the College and your course, with the opportunity to read and understand your learning agreement
- A programme of study designed to meet your learning needs, delivered by suitably qualified and experienced staff
- An Individual Learning Plan, and regular tutorial reviews, to help you monitor your progress and maximise your achievement
- Timely and appropriate feedback on all assignments and assessed work
- Opportunities to access materials and additional information through the Virtual Learning Environment
- A named member of staﬀ who will be your main point of contact during your studies to raise concerns and complaints
- Access to impartial information, advice and guidance on educational, career and personal matters, including discussing your options after your course.
At Colchester Institute there is a wide variety of activities for students to join in. This varies throughout the year and from campus to campus. Based at the Colchester campus, The Sports Federation deals with all competitive sports teams at the college.
In addition to our sports team there are fitness classes such as Street Dance, Self Defence, Volleyball, Cheerleading and Boxing, as well as team sports including Dodgeball, Basketball and Football.
As well as sports activities students are able to attend a range of events, starting with Fresher’s Fair which is an event focused on introducing students to both the college and our surrounding area as well as a range of student trips and enrichment activities such as first aid classes.
Higher Education students are also able to join University of Essex’s sport teams.
For more information on any of our activities please contact the Students’ Union
Colchester Institute Students’ Union is an autonomous organisation run for students, by students. Their main priority is to represent all students in all matters. Colchester Institute students are automatically members of Colchester Institute Students’ Union and are entitled to use Union facilities, create their own clubs and societies, and vote and stand in Union elections. The students union actively works within the college to improve the student experience as well as organising trips and events.
Anyone can get involved with any aspect of Colchester Institute Students’ Union. Members of the Executive Committee include the President, Vice-President of Communications, Vice-President of Events and Activities, and Vice-President of Learner Voice.