English, Maths and GCSE Courses
GCSE – English, Maths and Science
We offer English Language, Mathematics and Science GCSE intensive resit programmes over 32 weeks to adults over the age of 19. These are part-time courses consisting of one 3 hour session per week with a subject specialist tutor. If you are over the age of 19, GCSE English and Maths can form part of your full-time study programme.
If you are aged between 16 and 18 years old you will study English and Maths as part of your main full-time study programme. For more information about study programmes please see our qualification and course levels page
- City & Guilds Certificate in English or Mathematics Entry Level 3 & Level 1
- City & Guilds Functional Skills Certificate in English or Mathematics Level 1 & 2
Our Adult Learning Shops offer Functional Skills courses in English and Maths for adult (19+) learners. The Programmes offer a range of learning opportunities; English and Mathematic courses ranging from Entry Level to Level 2 qualifications. All our courses lead to nationally recognised qualifications. Courses are tailored so you can learn at your own pace, build confidence, aid career development or to help you get back into work.
Functional Skills in English and maths are practical skills that allow learners to work confidently, effectively and independently in life, including education and training. They aim to increase achievement in all learning, improve employability and provide a sound basis for progression to further study or training. They also help develop other important skills such as team work, presentation and problem solving. Functional Skills are common to all our lives.
They help make sense of daily life, from working out which deal is best value, to writing an application letter or surfing the Internet. They are about using English, maths and ICT in everyday situations.
They are essential for:
• Getting the most from education and training
• Personal development of all young people and adults
• Developing employability skills
Want to do something different, try something new? The Learning Shop can help you find the course you’re looking for.
A flexible programme is available to learners aged 18 or over. Courses are broken down into bite-sized chunks, so you can learn at your own pace.
The Learning Shop offers courses in IT, English, Maths and Employability. The Programmes offer a range of learning opportunities; this includes learning how to use a computer, improving literacy and numeracy skills. All our courses lead to nationally recognised qualifications. Courses are tailored so you can learn at your own pace, build confidence, aid career development or to help you get back into work.
The following services are available:
- IT User courses for complete beginners to Intermediate level
- English and Mathematic courses ranging from Entry Level to Level 2 qualifications
- Employability Courses to help you gain employment
- Information to take away on learning opportunities offered at Colchester Institute
- National Careers Service Advice and Guidance available at the Learning Shops