Engineering and Manufacturing Courses (Mechanical, Electronic, Fabrication and Welding)
Our Engineering courses in Manufacturing, Mechanical, Electronics, Welding and Fabrication are delivered by tutors with extensive experience in the industry sector and their professional expertise is valued by our students.
There are excellent, state-of-the-art facilities, with training areas designed to simulate the working environment. As well as Further and Higher education courses in electronic and mechanical engineering, Apprenticeships at a range of levels are also available in areas such as manufacturing, electrical and electronics, mechanical and electrical engineering maintenance and installations.
The knowledge and skills learned on our engineering courses can be used in many related industries. Examples include civil engineering, engineering construction, agricultural engineering, power, shipbuilding and repair, renewable energy, and oil and gas. Welders cut, shape and join sections of metal plate and pipes in a wide range of industries. These include construction and engineering, transport, aerospace, and offshore oil and gas. They also carry out repairs on manufacturing equipment and machinery. Welders work with a lot of different metals, alloys and materials – heating, melting and joining these ‘composites’ together. You may also have the opportunity to work abroad on overseas construction projects.
We offer a range of Higher Education Engineering courses with Higher National Certificate and Diploma programmes in electrical, electronic and mechanical engineering having been designed to provide advanced technical qualifications and equip students with the skills that employers require. The new HNC/D in Electrical Engineering (Power) provides exciting opportunities for those interested in a career in the energy sector. Our Higher Education Centre provides a great range of specialist facilities including well-equipped teaching spaces and private study areas.
Full-time Engineering Courses
- Engineering – Electronics, Automation and Robotics Level 2/3
- Engineering – Mechanical and Electrical Maintenance Level 2/3
- Engineering – Mechanical and Manufacturing Technologies Level 2/3
- Engineering – Welding and Fabrication Level 1
- Engineering – Welding and Fabrication Level 2/3
- Mechanical Engineering (Manufacturing) Level 1
Part-time Engineering Courses
- Engineering Certificate P/T Day Level 2 – Mechanical Manufacturing, Fabrication & Welding Pathways
- Engineering Diploma P/T Day Level 3 – Electronic and Automation, Mechanical Manufacturing and Fabrication and Welding Pathways
- Engineering Maintenance (Mechanical / Electrical) C&G Diploma Part-time Day Release Level 2
We offer a range of Higher Education Engineering courses with Higher National Certificate and Diploma programmes in electrical, electronic and mechanical engineering having been designed to provide advanced technical qualifications and equip students with the skills that employers require. Our Higher Education Centre provides a great range of specialist facilities including well-equipped teaching spaces and private study areas.
Click here to visit the School of Engineering and find out more.
- Advanced Electrical / Electronic Manufacturing Engineering Higher Apprenticeship Level 4
- Advanced Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering Higher Apprenticeship Level 4
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Advanced Apprenticeship
- Engineering Technician Level 3 Apprenticeship
- General Welder Level 2 Apprenticeship
- Manufacturing Engineering Advanced Apprenticeship
- Multi-Positional Welder Level 3 Apprenticeship
- Performing Engineering Operations Intermediate Apprenticeship
- Performing Manufacturing Operations Intermediate Apprenticeship
- Rail Engineering Operative Apprenticeship
- Rail Engineering Pre-Apprenticeship
- Welding and Fabrication Advanced Apprenticeship
- Welding and Fabrication Intermediate Apprenticeship
Apprenticeships are an optimal way of training, developing and skilling people for the future.
Companies in the energy, power, automotive and other industrial sectors across the United Kingdom truly recognise the advantages of taking on apprentices as they continue to look for the next generation of skilled engineers, technicians and welders. These companies recognise and value the stepping stone apprenticeships offer towards a long term and promising career as a technician, welder or engineer.
By taking an apprenticeship, you give yourself the opportunity to continue to learn and gain qualifications whilst working, earn a salary and become skilled through hands-on experience.
Apprentices at ‘Maycast-Nokes Precision Engineering’
Apprentices at “Ransomes Jacobsen Ltd’
The City & Guilds welding awards are designed for a range of abilities: from beginners who need basic welding training, to experienced welders who want to develop specialist skills.
Level 1 welding Awards are ideal for anyone who wants to become a welder and is new to welding, metal fabrication, thermal cutting and/or brazing and soldering.
Level 2 welding Awards are aimed at anyone already working in the industry who wants to develop their welding skills further and advance their career.
Level 3 welding Awards are for experienced welders who need a qualification to progress to complex welding work and quality control.
Working at Height Training Courses
- C&G Level 2 Award in Working at Height: Tower & Mast Climbing Techniques
- C&G Level 2 Award in Working at Height: Tower Rescue
The College is only the second in the country to achieve City and Guilds accreditation for Working at Height & Tower Rescue programmes and last year we made the strategic decision to invest in this equipment to support a wide range of local and regional businesses in a number of industry sectors.
We are really excited about the opportunity to develop bespoke Working at Height training packages to complement our existing portfolio of employer focused programmes. The training tower is available for use by businesses and community groups alike, ranging from team building activities, providing an opportunity for team building activities, personal development or bespoke training for staff who will be working at height in a wide range of industry contexts.
Working at Height Bespoke Training Courses
CI Business Solutions can offer bespoke Working at Height programmes, delivering the required level of theory and/or practical training to meet the needs of individual organisations and their staff, for example:
- Working at Height & Work Restraints – one day combined theory and practical programme
- Working at Height – Harness & Lanyards – half-day classroom based
- Working at Height – Writing Risk Assessments, Method Statements & Rescue Plans – one day classroom based
- Competent Climber – one day combined theory and practical programme
PASMA / IPAF
A range of PASMA and IPAF accredited course are also available. These courses provide industry recognised competency certificates to all successful candidates on the safe use of mobile access towers and other powered access equipment.
Confined Spaces Training
Confined Spaces training courses will be available in 2016.
For more information on our Working at Height training courses please contact CI Business Solutions at Colchester Institute on (01206) 712727 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and speak to one of our Business Training Advisors.