Working in partnership with employers, including hospitals and care organisations, our fantastic new Centre for Health and Social Care Professions is providing a range of training and qualifications to meet the demand for new recruits within the health and care sectors.
Courses are designed to address local skills shortages and are delivered by highly-qualified tutors with a diverse range of professional healthcare experiences.
Located on the fourth floor of our South Wing building, the Centre for Health and Social Care Professions encompasses 2,000 square metres of innovative teaching facilities.
The centre incorporates interactive learning technology to provide skills laboratories in realistic working environments, as well as well-equipped classrooms to ensure students are prepared for higher education (university) or employment.
Learning resources in the centre include:
- Dedicated skills rooms for role-play and recorded assessments, a dental surgery and decontamination room
- An interactive facility where bespoke environments can be created to develop interpersonal and problem-solving skills around a realistic backdrop
- Rooms for collaborative learning, as well as meeting and conference rooms to support apprenticeship assessments
Work in the NHS
Turn your dream of a job in the NHS into reality
In 2021 the East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust (ESNEFT) partnered with our own Centre for Health and Social Care Professions here at Colchester Institute, with a whole new floor dedicated to provide exclusive training to our learners, so they can be career ready at the end of their time with us. ESNEFT is one of the biggest NHS Trusts in East Anglia and provides hospital and community services throughout Suffolk and North Essex.
All of our learners complete mandatory placements, to prepare for this we have created the P³ programme.
The ethos for the Centre for Health and Social Care Professions focuses on Preparation, Placement and Progression (P³). All learners will develop the skills and professional behaviours expected to be seen in the workplace which will be delivered through a variety of workshops and online learning. This will offer students an assessed competency prior to embarking on a placement.
All Health and Social Care learners must complete this mandatory training prior to starting on their placements which includes:
- Clinical and health skills development
- Up to 72 hours of additional teaching with clinical experts throughout the year
- Role plays and reflective exercises
- Communication and study skills
Further progression activities support learners throughout the academic year ready for their next steps, such as:
- UCAS support
- Interview and employment ready workshops
- Academic literacy development
- Resilience and wellbeing activities
Those studying under the Centre are referred to as ‘Professionals in Training’ and will follow the NHS 6Cs philosophy; care, courage, commitment, compassion, competence and communication. These behaviours are monitored and rewarded throughout the course.
Learners will be expected to work in a variety of settings to develop different skills, and the College has placements in over 100 workplaces.
ESNEFT Career Start Programme
The aim of our Career Start Programme is to develop the key employability skills and qualities in our learners, so that we can prepare them for a career within ESNEFT by the time they leave us to progress on their career path.
Those who are successful in accessing the programme will be those who have demonstrated a positive attitude to the NHS 6Cs approach and also towards their own development. They will be offered a student placement (Note: students requiring placements in paediatric areas must be 18 by the time they attend placement), a training package within a hospital environment and a guaranteed interview for a ‘real’ job in the NHS.
These students will be given:
- Clinical work placement at Colchester or Ipswich Hospital
- An allocated supervisor
- Compulsory NHS induction training
- An NHS mentor to support them throughout the programme
- Online training modules
- Masterclasses at the Iceni Centre, at Colchester General Hospital
- Interactive training sessions
By completing the mandatory skills training, our learners will be able to access more substantial student placements which are more practical in nature and will also be guaranteed a job interview on successful completion of the Career Start Programme.
Who is eligible to benefit from this opportunity?
There are limited spaces available on this programme, students will be selected by achievement and their commitment and dedication to their studies. These will be our shining stars who choose a vocation (pathway) within the NHS.
Students must be, at least, 18 by the time they finish this programme and ready to start work, which could be full-time or part-time or even fitted around a Higher Education (University) course of study.
Why should you apply for this programme?
- You’re guaranteed a job interview at ESNEFT on successful completion of the programme and your studies at Colchester Institute
- You’ll benefit early from a full NHS Induction which all new NHS recruits have to complete
- You will be allocated an NHS Mentor from ESNEFT to support you
- Access to additional masterclasses at the Iceni Centre
How do you apply?
Your tutors and our partners at ESNEFT will talk to you about this opportunity in your first term at College.