Colchester Institute students recognised at Jack Petchey Awards

The College is delighted to announce that we had three award winners at the prestigious Jack Petchey Achievement Award ceremony, which took place last night at the Charter Hall.

Students Ruby Cooper-Taylor and Chloe Cousin received their awards from the Mayor of Colchester, Councillor Tim Young, with Hayley De’Ath, who worked for the Careers Team for a number of years, also being recognised for her outstanding contributions whilst at Colchester Institute.

Winner: Ruby Cooper-Taylor
Winner: Chloe Cousin
Winner: Hayley De’Ath

The following citations explain why they are worthy winners:

Ruby Cooper-Taylor: Skills to succeed L1 (now progressed)

When we held our ‘Random Acts of Kindness’ initiative Ruby put in an incredible amount of effort. Making over 100 items of jewellery to give away, using her own materials, in her own time at home. Ruby is very talented, kind and thoughtful and deserves recognition for the effort that she puts in to helping others. Hopefully by winning this award it goes some way to helping her to recognise her value.

Chloe Cousin: Progression Studies

Chloe has achieved so much so far this academic year. Chloe suffers from severe anxiety and has previously relied on her twin sister to give her the confidence to travel to and from college as they live in Harwich. This year Chloe and her sister are in different groups and attend college on different days, so Chloe has had to overcome her fear of travelling alone to enable her to continue to come to college. She also found attending her GCSE sessions last year very difficult often resulting in her not attending. Again, this year Chloe has overcome this and currently has an attendance of 98%. Chloe is a pleasure to have in the group and for her to overcome her many barriers to learning has been a pleasure to watch.

Hayley De’Ath: Leader Award

Hayley is an outstanding member of the careers team, this academic year she has supported me and no doubt countless others in helping me to discover my path to university.

Through supporting me with my UCAS Application, giving advice and is always, always willing to help and give guidance and support.

Hayley has supported me not just with the UCAS application but listened to my concerns and fears regarding university. This really has given me a confidence boost and I am now ready for my next step.

She has been inspirational towards myself, and others. I cannot recommend herself and the career’s team enough.

Winners on the night!