Colchester’s newest police officer

Colchester Institute Public Services alumnus Daniel Palmer has become one of 70 new officers who have recently completed their initial training with Essex Police.

Marking the occasion at a passing out parade led by Chief Constable Ben-Julian Harrington, with guests including Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Roger Hirst, Essex High Sheriff Simon Brice, chief executive of Essex Chambers of Commerce Denise Rossiter and family and friends, the new police officers will join policing teams across Essex.

For PC Palmer becoming a police officer is a childhood dream having already served as a special constable. “I like stepping into the unknown and helping people, that’s what I thrive on,” said Daniel, who has been looking forward to joining the team in Colchester.”

“Policing has been something I’ve wanted to do since I was five.”

Daniel Palmer

“I like a challenge and I don’t like waking up and doing the same thing. I like stepping into the unknown and helping people, that’s what I thrive on. Friday, my passing out parade was one of the best days of my life. I’ve been waiting for 19 years.”

“The training I’ve received has given me a view on what true policing is and the level of service I’m going to be providing. I absolutely love helping people. I joined the volunteer police cadets when I was 17 and from there, I applied to become a Special Constable. Then I applied to join the regulars.”

Essex Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Roger Hirst said: “Essex Police continues to grow, and it is a pleasure to see these new recruits joining. Working alongside national government we have significantly increased the investment in policing over the last six years and, by March 2023, the total size of the force will be 3,755 – a growth of 900 officers since 2016.”