Term Times & Absence Reporting
SNOW AND SEVERE WEATHER INFORMATION
In the event of Severe Weather Conditions.
The Snow Closure Process
As part of our Bad Weather Communication Process Senior Managers will review the position as early as possible if we are considering a closure. The official decision to close is ultimately taken by our Principal and Vice-Principals.
Our campuses will only be closed if one or more of the following conditions apply:
- Insufficient first aid trained and fully qualified staff are able to travel in and ensure the safe running of the campus.
- Conditions on site are considered too dangerous for the safety of students and staff.
- Conditions are considered to be, or are expected to become too hazardous to travel later in the day.
If any of our sites are to close, a decision will be made by 6:45am and the following will apply:
- Pop-up information will display on the college website and updates will be posted on social media using Facebookand Twitter. Please check for updates before starting your journey to college
- A message will be placed on the main telephone switchboard informing of the decision to close any of our campuses. (01206 712000)
Use of social media (Facebook and Twitter)
The official Colchester Institute Facebook and Twitter social media accounts will be monitored by the college throughout the day. Additional announcements will be posted as necessary and social media accounts will be monitored and updated during office hours (replies/comments after 5pm will not be answered until the following morning).
Colchester Institute Term Dates 2016-2017
|Term||Week Commencing||Half Term|
|Autumn||Monday 5th September – Friday 16th December||Week commencing Monday 24th October|
|Spring||Tuesday 3rd January – Friday 31st March||Week commencing Monday 13th February|
|Summer||Wednesday 19th April – Friday 23rdth June||No Half Term – Bank Holiday Monday 1st May and Monday 29th May only|
Absence Reporting Line
There is a dedicated Absence Reporting Line – (01206) 712160 for all Colchester Institute students.
The line is manned from 8am. Callers before this time can leave a message.
All calls are logged and the relevant tutor is notified. It is preferable to call before 9am.
Please note: Students need to notify their tutor directly for lateness notifications.
The gates for the College Campuses are opened from 6am, with classrooms and facilities opening at their stated times.
For information on Library Opening Times please click here.
Reception and Switchboard
The Colchester Institute Reception and Switchboard – 01206 712000 is open from 8:00am – 19:30pm Monday to Thursday and from 8:00am – 17:00pm on Friday.
To search for a number, please use our Telephone Directory.