- Hourly Paid Mindfulness or Mental Health Awareness Workshop FacilitatorReference Code: 15-162(C)
- Hourly Paid Teacher in Property MaintenanceReference Code: 16-097RClosing Date: 16 Apr 2017
- Hourly Paid Teacher in Public ServicesReference Code: 16-115Closing Date: 23 Apr 2017
- Hourly Paid Teacher in Travel and TourismReference Code: 16-116Closing Date: 23 Apr 2017
- Lecturer in Fabrication and WeldingReference Code: 16-079RClosing Date: 29 Mar 2017
- Work Based Learning Trainer/Assessor in Wood and Property MaintenanceReference Code: 16-100RClosing Date: 29 Mar 2017
How to Apply
We suggest that you take time to read through our Information Section before submitting your application.Please complete our Standard Application Form which can be downloaded from the following link:
PLEASE SEND APPLICATIONS BY EMAIL TO: JOBLINE@COLCHESTER.AC.UK
or by post to the Human Resources Team at the address shown on the Vacancy Information.
If you have submitted an application, it will be passed to the manager and if you have been shortlisted for interview you will be contacted within 2 weeks of the vacancy closing date.
If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, unfortunately you have not been shortlisted for interview on this occasion. (Please note this does not apply to internal applicants).
Colchester Institute is committed to supporting the employment of people with disabilities. If you would like us to provide information in a different format or you wish to apply in different format please contact us on (01206) 712080. Please also contact us if you would like to discuss any adjustments you would need to support you in a selection process or to carry out the job.
Safeguarding and Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Checks
All jobs at Colchester Institute are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Therefore all applicants are required to disclose all criminal convictions and the College will need to obtain a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check. All staff new to the College are required to pay for their DBS unless they have registration to the DBS Update Service that is checked satisfactorily by the College. A Barred List check will also be conducted for roles deemed to be in Regulated Activity.
All applicants need to complete the Disclosure of Criminal Convictions Form available in the How to Apply section above and forward it to the Human Resources team along with your application. Please note that a criminal offence includes all convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings.
Disclosure of a criminal offence does not necessarily mean that you will not be considered for the role; a person’s suitability will be looked at in the light of all the information available. Things which will be considered include the seriousness of the offence and its relevance to the safety of students, other employers, customers, clients, and property, the length of time since the offence occurred, the circumstances of the case and whether the offence was a one off or part of a history of offending. One of the main considerations will be whether the offence is one which would make the person unsuitable to work in a capacity which provides the opportunity for access to young people or vulnerable adults. To help reach this decision you may be asked questions at the interview.
Any information you provide will be treated as strictly confidential and be considered only in relation to the specific role you have applied for.
If you are not short-listed or are unsuccessful at interview any information you have provided will be confidentially destroyed.
If you are offered the post the information will be retained securely by the Human Resources team until a DBS check is received and the information checked against it. If this check is satisfactory the information will be confidentially destroyed.
Under the terms of its registration with the DBS the College is bound by the Code of Practice which gives guidance on all related issues including equality of opportunity and data protection. Further information can be obtained on the DBS website at http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/agencies-public-bodies/dbs/
For Colchester Institute policy on the recruitment of ex-offenders please click here
We have vacancies available in a variety of industries including: Dental Nursing, Engineering, Maintenance Operations, Childcare, Creative and Digital Media, Business and Administration, IT, and Health and Social Care.
Contact us on (01206) 712412 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more and get your career off to a flying start.
Further Information about Colchester Institute
Colchester Institute has a clear dedication to meeting employer needs through the development of bespoke industry training centres, with more than 800 apprentices in learning at any one time. We have a network of delivery locations and some of the best facilities in the Country for hospitality, motor vehicle, engineering, construction, and performing arts.
With approximately 1,200 staff the College is one of the largest employers in the area. There are approximately 600 academic/teaching staff and 600 business support staff.
Over 12,000 students are enrolled each year, with approximately 5500 on full-time courses. The majority of students are local but many are attracted from further afield, including overseas.
Further education courses account for approximately 80% of the provision of the College. A range of well-established degree and higher education courses are also available, including new courses at foundation degree level, making up 20% of our provision.
Responding to a range of Government initiatives the College has also been successful in introducing a variety of short programmes to meet specific local and national skills shortages. An expanding range of short courses, tailored to meet the needs of the business community, are also provided by CI Business Solutions, the commercial arm of Colchester Institute.
The main campus is situated on the edge of Colchester town within easy walking distance of the town centre and mainline railway station. It is a large, open campus consisting of purpose-built accommodation including an extensive range of specialist facilities to support our educational programmes, such as two large halls with stages, drama studio, gymnasium and access to nearby sports fields.
Two large construction and engineering wings were opened in 2009. In addition there are facilities open to the public including first-class training restaurants and hairdressing and beauty therapy salons. The Colchester School of Art took residency of the historic Minories building in Colchester town centre in May 2008. This historic building is well known locally as being associated with the arts community and this acts as the perfect backdrop to host exhibitions supporting Art and Design Postgraduate studies.
Colchester Institute is keen to meet the more localised needs of its customers and ‘to take learning to the learners’. To support this aim the College merged with Braintree College in January 2010. The College at Braintree offers a variety of vocationally based Further Education courses and qualifications in areas such as art and design, beauty therapy, business, computer studies, construction, health & childcare, media, motorcycle and motor vehicle mechanics, music technology, performing arts, sports and recreation and travel and tourism.
The College at Clacton operates from two sites in Clacton. Responding to the needs of the local community, the main focus of provision at these sites is on vocational training, such as administration and IT, hairdressing, beauty therapy and construction. The Learning Shops based at Dovercourt, Witham and Colchester provide additional town centre locations for English, Maths, IT and Computer training.
In 2013, the College opened The Energy Skills Centre at Harwich to support skills development in this growing industry. This centre complements the employer focused activity taking place at The Engineering Training Centre at Colchester, which was originally opened to support the aviation industry and is now heavily involved in skills delivery for the supporting employers in railway engineering.
You can find details of all of our locations on our website. There is also a promotional video for Colchester Institute that you may wish to see. And for more information about our vision, mission and strategy, plus to see our Annual Report, please see our governance pages.
- Annual Leave (40 days for lecturing staff plus bank holidays, 28 days plus bank holidays for other staff, 35 days plus bank holidays for academic management staff)
- Funding support if college budget allows (repaid if leave within 2 years of end of study) for approved professional qualifications – for teaching staff this will include Certificate in Education/Post Graduate Certificate in Education, this can equate to £4k-£5k support
- Pensions – two Defined Benefit Schemes
- Teachers Pension Scheme for lecturing / academic management staff
- Local Government Pension Scheme for all other staff
- Occupational Health service
- Workplace Options – offering advice, counselling, savings centre and more.
- Discounted travel on trains and buses as part of Travel to Work scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Discount at various nurseries in the local area
- Hair and Beauty facilities onsite
- Discounted Dermologica products available at the Beauty Reception
- Discounted personal printing with our in-house reprographics
- Staff Development / In House Training Programmes
- Staff Association organising discounted trips and discounted tickets to:
- Trips to the theatre
- Trips to London including Winter Wonderland
- Day trip to Bruges
- On site food and drink facilities, at Colchester:
- CHEFS (Certificate of Excellence on Trip Advisor )
- 55 Degrees Coffee Shop
- On-site Gymnasium
- Discounted course fees for staff
- 35% off tuition fees that are ‘co-funded’
- 10% off ‘Full Cost’ courses
- 10% offMindfulness Courses*
- Discounted eye test & lenses for VDU users
- Corporate discount at local gyms
- Discounts software – Adobe and Microsoft
- Onsite MOT & Servicing available
- The Book People
- Staff discount available at Kent Blaxill
- Discount at the Batte Lay Tea Room located at the Minories, Colchester
- National Union of Students card can be purchased by all staff members giving discounts to retailers such as:
- Pizza Express
- Odeon, Cineworld and Vue